Monday, May 19, 2008

The Ups and Downs of Running

As you know, Saturday was the Ogden Half Marathon for me. Friday morning, I started my period of all sucky things. I woke up feeling a little achy on Saturday but I took some ibuprofen so I figured I would be fine.
A half mile into it, I started to get cramps. I thought if I just slowed a little they would get better but they just got worse and worse. I felt like I was going to puke most of the way. I was kind of hunched over running which is not very fun. I ran the first ten miles and then I walked for 3/4 mile and then ran the rest. My official time was 2:37, faster than last year but not what I wanted.
I have to say, I was devastated. I still am. I have been so depressed all weekend. I have been training for a while now and for the past 2 months, I have been at a 9-9 1/2 minute mile pace. I know there are always bad running days but for it to be on race day just seemed so unfair.
I know it's still an accomplishment and I have no reason to be having a giant pity party but I am.
On a lighter note, my little sister finished in 2:20 and my mom, who is in her 50's and not run for about 25 years, finished in 3:33. I am so proud of both of them. This was a first for both of them and they rocked the house.

1 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

Aw maaaaaaan. I'd be super bummed too. I just looked at the calendar and realized that I'll most likely be graced with Aunt Flo as well when I'm doing my half. Boo : (. Too late now - I'm already signed up.

Way to go Grandma Walker for diving into the race! I think that's fabulous!