Friday, September 11, 2009

Tragedy and Rebirth

I remember September 11th like it was yesterday. We lived in Clinton. Ross worked in Salt Lake so we were all still sleeping after he left. I remember him calling to tell me to get up and turn on the tv. I was watching the news feed when the second plane hit. I remember the feelings of disbelief as we all started to realize that this was an intentional attack. I was horrified.

My thoughts immediately turned to my little sister Alison who was living in New Jersey at the time. She was supposed to be in New York some time that week and I began praying that it was not this day. I started calling her and it would be more than 12 hours later when we finally heard from her that she was ok and she never made it to the city that day.
I cried more and prayed more that day than I had in a long time. I prayed for my sister, for those people that I knew would never see a loved one again, for the many, many people that stepped up to the plate and died to help others live. I prayed for my country and my President.
For all the grief, confusion, hate and fear that came from that day, there were more stories of courage, heroism, charity, brotherly love and kindness. Our president called for us to bond together as a nation and pray together. I learned so many lessons in the wake of that tragedy and I saw the hand of God everywhere.
About a year later, I went to visit that sister and we went to ground zero. It had changed much. Most of the debri was gone. I was overwhelmed with the many pictures still posted around the city of missing people that I knew would never be found. But I could feel the spirits of those that had been there. And that they live on.
I believe everything happens for a reason. If nothing else, it gave people a purpose and something to believe in, even if for just a small moment. And for me, it brought back hope in the human spirit. Nothing can break us until we let it.
I will always have great reverence for this day. I continue to pray for those who were lost, those who were found and those who sacrificed so much for all of us.

3 comments:

K.Booth said...

Great post!! It is hard to imagine that it was eight years ago. What was your sister doing in New Jersey?

Rip Curl Mom said...

She was a nanny for a guy and his wife that worked in one of the smaller trade center buildings. So many people they knew died.

Wight Family said...

Moving post Kelly. I've read so many today it has been quite a reverent day. I like that. Thanks for adding to it!