My word of the year for 2010 was "Push". There were a couple of different reasons I chose this word, the main one being that I wanted to push past any barriers I have created for myself. I wanted to go above and beyond what I thought I could do, physically and mentally.
After the 2009 Wasatch Back, I decided that was retired from running. I had been so totally focused on running for the previous 5 years and I was ready for a break.
In February, I did my first organized road bike race with Ross. It was only 25 miles but I had only ridden the bike once previous to that and for only 10 miles. It was so fun. We had a great time. I am now officially a road biker.
In May of this year, my mom ran the Ogden Half Marathon and Tyson decided to run it with her. I had told her I would run her the last 3 miles in but I was a little worried when Ty decided to do it too. I was worried that it would be harder for him than he thought and that he might mentally give up a little. So I met them at the top of the canyon instead, thinking that I would throw him in the car if I needed. He was doing GREAT when they got to me so I just decided to run the canyon with them instead and they could run the last 3 in. Now, remember that I have not been running AT ALL for almost a year now. We ran down the canyon and as we were getting to the parkway (the last 3 miles) I told Ty he could take off and finish it at his pace if he wanted. He practically sprinted those 3 miles and beat us by like 35 minutes!
Anyway, at this point, I was going to jump off but all off a sudden, I remembered, "Push". I was feeling it a little because I hadn't trained but I knew in my heart that I could do it if I decided I wanted to. So that day, I ran 8 miles with my mom and my son and I was happy. One day later, a good friend of mine bullied...er...nicely asked me for the second time to be the final member on her Wasatch Back team. I had shot her down earlier in the year, reminding her that I was retired. The race was in 1 month. What the heck! I mean, who trains for these things anyway?!
It was one of the most fun times in my life. I had such a blast on that race.
I ended up doing 1 more 1/2 and the Ragnar Las Vegas Relay. Another friend invited me at the last minute to do that one too. It ended up being my best race ever. I had so much fun and I did things there that I never thought I would be able to do.
I did ride my bike all summer long and I love, love, love it. My over all point? Through all of these things, when things would get tough or I thought maybe I couldn't do it, I would tell myself to push. I knew I could do it if I wanted to. I pushed through any and all barriers I had created for myself. I am so happy with the strength that the Lord has blessed me with.
So after that long winded post, we come to my word for 2011.
The word I have chosen is "Holy". If the Lord can bless me with that much mental and physical strength, then imagine what could happen if I am focused on my relationship with Him and the plan he has for me. Wow. I am so excited!
P.S. I think I may have to stop claiming that I am not a runner since I blew my retirement.

0 comments:
Post a Comment