Saturday, August 16, 2008

Olympic Fever

I just love the Olympic Games. Whether it be summer or winter, I really get into all the events even if they are things I am not usually interested in. I love hearing the individual stories and seeing people's dreams come true.
It gets me all pumped up over my own fitness goals and I take a lot of time reflecting. I spent the first half of this year training like a mad woman. I have tried many different things to push through the hard things and make myself better. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I realize that my biggest hang up is my brain. I quit mentally long before my physical prowess gives out. I have really been working on how to change that.
So here's my question to all of you that read my blog, what works for you? What is it that pushes you to go above and beyond what you believe you can do? So quit lurking and please leave me comments. You never know, you might be my answer!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

No motivation. I've pretty much given up on running..until tomorrow, then I'm going to put on my shoes and go! Unless I don't. Then I'll just deal with the guilt again...sheesh! So, if you find any bits of wisdom from your faithful readers, please pass them on to me. I need a good kick in the pants! Ditto on Olympic Fever. It is so thrilling to watch.
I'm still going to leave you a comment on a favorite memory. Usually I am holding the small one when I am reading blogs and I can't type very well with one hand. I also want to come up and see you one of these days. I am in need of a Kelly fix!

Nurse Heidi said...

I am in my post race slump myself. All the big races that I want to do next aren't until next year, which isn't helping matters much. My plan is to continue to do one long run per month, 10+ miles, to maintain my mileage, and 5-6 miles on the other weekends. I don't want to waste all that hard work!

I find that whether I am running 10 miles or 3, I get out of motivation the last mile. Don't know why, it just is what it is. I have to do a lot of mental preparation before the long runs. It helps me a TON to go with someone. And the right tunes. You need to go see Mama Mia and download the soundtrack - I'm rather looking forward to running to that in the morning, actually.

ross Walker said...

Yeah, heres a tip. Tie a pot roast to your shorts and start your run by the neighbors house with the BIG dog.

Love ya dear!

Unknown said...

I like Ross' idea, I'd lend you Prancer, but I don't think all 3 lbs would be that motivating :D