

About 10 years ago, before I ever ran even 1 step in my entire life, I put something down on my bucket list. I specifically wrote that I wanted to finish the St. George Marathon. This was not a well thought out item. Especially when I had never run before.
Two years later, I started running. My running career has been, well, interesting to say the least. I have had many people tell me that you grow to love running. Not true for me. It turns out that my really bad allergies contribute to my really bad asthma. Therefore, I HATE RUNNING! It is such a thorn in my side. Don't get me wrong, I feel great after I have completed the run. But during the actual act of running, I think I curse more than I ever have in my whole life combined. I even retired from running for a year. I had decided that it was not my thing, I had given it a good try and I was ok with being done.
But. The marathon was lingering in the background. It just wouldn't go away. It has been my nemesis for 10 long years. I could have taken it off my list but for some reason, I just couldn't. No one would have blamed me. The thing is though, if I say I will do something, I do it. I am not a quitter. I can do hard things. I DO hard things.
I got in last year and with a month left to go, I got an injury and could not do the race. I was super disappointed but I know that there is a divine design to everything. I decided that this years race was my last chance to do it. My great friend, Jamie Froerer is an accomplished marathoner and she agreed to run this race with me. I think I knew from the start that it had to be her. She was the only way I could make it. I do not run like she does. You have to be a good person to agree to something like this.
Friday before the race, I was a basket case. Ask Ross. Poor guy took the brunt of my insanity. I was thinking of every way possible to get out of it. I just knew all of a sudden that I couldn't do it.
Somehow I managed to get to the start line anyway. It was pretty warm at 4 in the morning. 75 degrees warm. I was already seeing my body lying on the side of the road. I wanted to throw up. *On a side note, the amount of people that are there to run the marathon is a sight to behold. They were never ending. Pretty inspiring really.*
Finally we were off. The morning was so beautiful and I was feeling pretty good. Once we got going, my panic subsided. It was fun to just be with Jamie and chat. She is really good at taking your mind off things. There was absolutely no pressure.
Veyo Hill is a beast. I walked it because it is so steep and I still was on the edge of an asthma attack. Icy hot at the aid station was a beautiful thing for my calves.
At mile 14, I hit a wall. My body was tired, my legs were aching and my mind went crazy again. I told Jamie I didn't think I could do it. And this is where it started to be confirmed to me that she is the only one I could have done this with. She wasn't even going to let me talk like that. She kept telling me to "Regroup!" and remember my only goal was to finish.
After about a mile, I started to feel good again and we were run/walking. Then we got to mile 18. I hit the wall again. Only this time it was bigger and harder. She kept pushing me and I kept trying. Around mile 20, I collapsed. My legs totally buckled and I went down. I was a little incoherent and I was seeing spots swimming before my eyes. A few people were stopping to see if I was ok, including the medic van. Jamie was like, "Oh she's fine. Move on to someone older who really needs help. She's finishing." If I had been in my right mind, I may have pushed her over and jumped in with the medic!
Someone gave me a salt pill and Jamie had to hold me up for a while as we walked and the pill took effect. I was seeing spots and staggering all over the place. I told her to go and I would keep pushing through but she wouldn't leave me.
The last 6.2 miles were hell. I was barely moving my feet and I kept having to stop because I thought I was going to throw up. I had horrible stomach cramps. At every mile marker, I just kept telling myself I only had to go one mile.
The last 3 miles were long but some kid handed me a lime popsicle (which was the best thing ever) and someone handed me a baggie full of ice. I am so grateful for random people who just try to make your life a little easier along the way. They didn't have to be there but they made my life better because they were.
The last stretch was about 0.3 miles and you could see the finish line with balloons at the end. We were running and I stopped because my legs hurt so bad. Jamie grabbed my arm and wouldn't let me stop. She said, "There is the finish. Keep your eyes on the finish and don't stop. You are there!"
They announced our names and we ran across the line. She was yelling in my ear, "You did it! You finished a marathon!" I started crying. I was so happy to be done. And believe it or not, I was smiling! And laughing!
My son, Corbin, was waiting with my medal as I crossed. He is the one who gave it to me. That was really cool. Ross, the boys and Jamie's husband Nick were waiting for us. It was a joyous occasion.
At one point in time, we were on pace for a 4:30. My official time was 6:20. For about one second, I was disappointed but that was quickly replaced by the fact that I finished. That was my only goal. I struggled. I hurt. I thought I couldn't do it. I know that there were people there helping me that I couldn't see. I know that there were people praying for me. I had the best coach and cheerleader along the way that believed in me more than I did. I could not have done this without Jamie. I will be forever indebted to her.
I also could not have done it without Ross and the boys. They have stuck by my side through every painful step of the last 8 years. They are my biggest support and my favorite people. I was so happy to get this off their shoulders as well!
Looking back, I am filled with much gratitude about the things I have learned along the way. I am not a quitter. I am strong. I can do anything. God is always with me.
In closing, I will share one of my favorite quotes:
"The miracle isn't that I finished. It's that I had the courage to start."
Monday, October 3, 2011
Nemesis
Posted by Rip Curl Mom at 6:36 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm speechless (for once). You are my hero. I am so happy for you. You kept me going. Thanks for giving the chance to run with you. I loved every minute of our run together. I'd do it again tomorrow. Now--what??? I never did ask you what the next item on your bucket list was:) xoxox Coach
You are so amazing!! So is Jamie!! I saw a quote in a magazine the other day and it reminded me of you! I will get it to you one of these days!! I want to be like you and just go for it! I let myself talk me out of things way to easily! And worse, I don't write it down, so I have an out, cause no one but me knows about it! Thank you for inspiring! I better find my journal and get to writing a few things down.
Beautiful. of all the running articles I have read, this one is the best! Loved it!
Post a Comment