Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Help Us If You Can

In light of the recent tragic events in Haiti our family is going to put together a few hundred humanitarian kits. We usually do this in the summer, but obviously the help is needed now. We also thought it might be great if we got more people involved this time, hoping maybe we could make an even bigger impact. We are reaching out to you for a hand. Can you help?

There are a few different ways you can help, please feel free to chose one and let us know what works for you.

1- Donor / sponsor / connection. The kits contain toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, and washcloths. Do you know someone or do you work some where that could help us get these supplies? If we could get a donor for any one of the supplies that would be great, but even if we could find someone to help us buy them at a cheaper cost is wonderful. (see prices listed at the end of this post) Who do you know?! Dentist, medical supplier, wholesale warehouse? Will you please ask them about a donation?

2- Financial Support. Our cost has gone up just a little since the last time we did this, but really still very cheap to bring such a huge help. At current cost each kit is about $4.37. Please feel free to donate ANY amount. Your help will not be reducing our costs, but adding on more kits to the whole order. We are hoping to get enough donations from others to double our order.

3- Elbow grease. These darn things dont assemble themselves. We have it down to a pretty good system now, but its still quite a bit of work. There is the pickup from the warehouse (sometimes 2 trips). Carrying all the boxes into the hose and setting up ‘the line’, assembly, finding more boxes to pack them all all, loading into trucks again and delivery to Salt Lake. My boys would love to see someone else come join the assembly line with them (misery loves company). Its actually quite fun to put them together. I would love the help toting around all the heavy boxes, my kids cant lift them and there are quite a few to carry.

4- Pass it on. Please pass this post on to anyone you know. Coworkers, friends, family, neighbors all might want to join in. Help us make this great.

What a great feeling it is to know you have brought some relief to someone who just faced a natural disaster.

Humanitarian Kit details/prices. Each kit contains:

  • Two 7” plastic combs (.11 each)
  • Four toothbrushes (.16 each)
  • One 180gm tube of toothpaste (.85 each)
  • Two bars of soap (.37 each)
  • Two hand towels 15x30 (.79 each)
  • All contained in 1 Gallon ziplock bag (.05 each)

The tax comes down to about 0.29 on each kit for a total of $4.37

Would you like to make a big difference? Let us know.

6 comments:

Tonya said...

We would love to buy some and come and help put them together. Just let us know when??? Also do you get them from the Mandalay place here in Farr West? My kids love doing these. Last year we did 250 school kits for a stake activity. They all love serving, so thanks! and let us know more details.

ross Walker said...

Tonya... awesome, thanks for your help!

Yes we get them through Mandalay. Hopefully we can get a dentist or 2 to provide the toothbrushes and paste for us, then we can spend that on other supplies.

We will keep you posted. I think that I will place the order on monday after we see what donations we get.

Sheri said...

Kelly... THe Dentist I work for will donate a couple of boxes of toothbrushes. I don't work until tomorrow, so I am not sure of the amount, but it will be a couple hundred. I will bring them home with me tomorrow night. I will also check into toothpaste.

Tiffanie said...

We're in. Let us know when you are putting them together. I don't have anyone to donate (I'll keep looking) but we can help buy some supplies. Let us know when you are ready to go. We aren't far away!

K.Booth said...

Count us in for elbow grease. I will try and round up some toothbrushes from Chad's dad.

K.Booth said...

Ok I just read Sheri's comment. I can round up toothpaste?? let me know.